Monday, 27 October 2014

Jamie's Italian: Finally back again

The last time I dined at Jamie's Italian was for my hubby's birthday last year, a couple of months after they first opened their doors. Since then it's been hard to get a booking when I wanted and the wait for a table was usually around 1.5 hours. To be honest I've given up on trying to get in again, I've tried three times in the last 6 months without much luck. The first attempt was for my birthday this year with a few of my girlfriends - we thought we'll try our luck at 5:30pm, one of my girlfriends who got there early was asked to take a seat because we had to all be present before they'll give us a table, however when we were all there, we were told that we had to go to the back of the queue and the wait was 1.5 hours! What? I was not happy so we went elsewhere. The second time we tried getting in was for a belated mother's day dinner with my mum-in-law and again it was 1.5 hours, we left a mobile number but by the time they called us we had gone elsewhere. The latest attempt was with hubby but the wait was again 1.5 hours so we left a mobile number and never got a call! I haven't been overly impressed to say the least. So why did I try again? Because my parents wanted to try it. So at 12pm on a Sunday afternoon, I rocked up to Jamie's Italian with my mum and dad and was told that the wait was only 30 minutes! Woohoo! We left a mobile number and they called us only 15 minutes later to tell us that there was a table available. Yay!


Mum and dad let me take charge of ordering. Dad saw someone have whole fish so I suggested that we order it eventhough he was a bit unsure because he doesn't usually like to have fish at non-Chinese restaurants.

Our order
To share
Italian Bread Selection (Homemade rosemary focaccia, Italian grissini, crispy music bread and ciabatta from our bakery. All served with Rylstone extra virgin olive oil and aged balsamic) $1.50
Cured Meats Plank (Italian prociutto, Wagyu bresaola, finocchio and artisanal mortadella) $14 (per person)
Baked Mushrooms (Swiss browns with crispy music bread and smoked buffalo mozzarella) $15.50
Black Angel Spaghetti (Squid-ink pasta, scallops, chilli, anchovies, wine and capers) $15.50 (entree size)
Rainbow Trout Acqua Pazza (Pan-fried whole rainbow trout with olives, garlic, capers, parsley and sweet plum tomatoes) $29

Dessert
Tutti Frutti Lemon Meringue Pie (With limoncello and crunchy pistachio brittle) $11

Food and presentation - 4/5 (from 3.5/5)
Nom, nom, nom - this visit to Jamie's Italian was a lot more satisfying than the first. I didn't have any complaints about the food and neither did my parents and that says ALOT! I can't remember a time where my parents didn't complain about something at a restaurant. My parents are actually awesome and lovely, it's just that they are very picky when it comes to food! My dad doesn't usually like the way fish is prepared in non-Chinese restaurants because of the fishy taste/smell (either not very fresh or don't know how to prepare well) and the taste but he was pretty impressed with the rainbow trout from the taste to the unfishiness (yes, I made that word up) taste/smell. 

My favourite was the black angel spaghetti, if you read my review from my first visit then you'll note that I didn't like how the pasta was (to me) undercooked and the sauces were not that great. This time the pasta was perfect and the sauce was delicious! 
Italian Bread Selection $1.50
Cured Meats Plank $14
Baked Mushrooms $15.50
Black Angel Spaghetti $15.50 (entree size)
Rainbow Trout Acqua Pazza $29
Tutti Frutti Lemon Meringue Pie $11

Service - 4.5/5 (no change)
Just as good as last time. Our waiter was absolutely fantastic, he asked us whether we wanted still, sparkling or tap water when we sat down and really did look after us very well. I actually wanted to order more food because my eyes are always bigger than my stomach but he suggested that we order more if we need to later and also helped me make some food decisions. I was a happy girl.

Atmosphere and decor - 4/5 (no change)
No change from last time

Value for money - 5/5 (from 4/5)
$29 for a whole fish, $1.50 for bread and less than $30 for seafood pastas main size at a restaurant opened by Jamie Oliver? I'm sorry but that deserves a 5/5! Even a not so good restaurant or even a cafe charges more than that!

I've now learnt that I need to go for lunch so that I avoid getting upset about having to wait! 

Taste Test Revised Score 17.5/20 (from 16/20)

Address: 140 William Street, Perth WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 9363 8600
Website: http://www.jamieoliver.com/italian/australia/perth
Reservations: Yes

Opening times
Monday to Sunday: 11am - 10:30pm

Jamie's Italian on Urbanspoon