Saturday, 8 February 2014

Taste Test - Bread in Common

I finally made it to Bread in Common - yes it took me a while to get here. It was our monthly tai tai lunch but we were missing AD because she recently had a little bub and they are still settling in but she has already been here before so didn't miss out in that sense. I was the driver today and as I am a typical Asian who doesn't like to pay for parking, I found a free parking spot on my secret parking street and we walked to Bread in Common which was pretty easy to find eventhough there wasn't any signage.

Bread in Common is another one of these warehouse turned funky restaurant/cafe and when we arrived there was already a short line forming at the entrance. At 12:30pm on a Saturday, I thought we were pretty lucky to turn up to a short line and being seated within 15 minutes. We got right down to business as soon as we sat down!


Our order
Mushrooms, Bitter Leaves, Macadamia Nuts, Thyme $15
Bresaola, Chargrilled Cos, Nectarine, Black Olive, Sunflower Seeds $21
Chocolate, Ricotta, Honey, Cinnamon Toasted Sandwich $14

Dessert

Peanut Mousse, Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream, Raspberry, Oreo $18
Banana, Meringue, Rosemary, Marshmallow, Caramel $18

Drinks (I don't include drinks nowadays but I had to this time - it was way overpriced!!)
Pineapple, Coconut Milk, Orange, Lime Smoothie $10
Pineapple, Coconut Milk, Orange, Lime Smoothie $10
Food and presentation - 3.5/5
I'm going to say it...Bread in Common...too much hype! I expected amazing but I got just so, granted we didn't try out their bread (yes, you would think that we would try out their bread given that bread is supposed to be their thing) which is apparently amazing but really how amazing can bread be?

Anyway, let's start with my favourite dish, the mushrooms which were beautifully cooked and went really well with the bitter leaves (although a few of the leaves were way too bitter), macadamia and thyme, however after a few mouthfuls it became really salty and it wasn't just me saying so, all three of us agreed.
 

Mushrooms, Bitter Leaves, Macadamia Nuts, Thyme $15

Now to the bresaola with the chargrilled cos, nectarine, black olive and sunflower seeds which was not very exciting and didn't really impress, we thought it was just so.

Bresaola, Chargrilled Cos, Nectarine, Black Olive, Sunflower Seeds $21
The toasted sandwich was quite different, although I couldn't really taste much except chocolate and the dehydrated raspberries used to decorate the dish (which was really sour). I've had sweet sandwiches elsewhere before and it was much more impressive.

Chocolate, Ricotta, Honey, Cinnamon $14
Dessert was quite enjoyable and was a nice end to our catch up. We shared two desserts between the three of us. I preferred the banana dessert to the peanut mousse as some of the elements on the peanut mousse dessert didn't work well for me and the peanut mousse itself was a little disappointing, I've had better.

Peanut Mousse, Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream, Raspberry, Oreo $18
Banana, Meringue, Rosemary, Marshmallow, Caramel $18
Service - 3.5/5

We arrived at Bread in Common at 12:30pm and there was a short line, this short line became quite a long line within 5-10 minutes of our arrival. I did find that they were a bit slow to seat patrons, not sure if it was intentional or they were just not organised. After we sat down, there were quite a few seats available but patrons were left standing in line for a while before they were seated. The staff were relatively friendly and polite and our food came out quickly. I gave them bonus points because one of us spilled her coffee all over the table as soon as it came out but they replaced it and didn't charge us for the replacement.

Atmosphere and decor - 4/5
I really liked the warehouse style fit out which seems to be the 'in' thing nowadays. Seating is communal - I didn't mind since having heart to hearts in public is not my thing, but if you don't like to share your table with randoms, either gather enough people so you take up the whole table, go elsewhere or just deal with it.
Value for money - 2/5
Bread in Common is pretty expensive for what it is, the serving sizes are pretty small and $10 for a pretty small mug of not so special smoothie is definitely steep, not to mention the expensive desserts - it's casual dining for goodness sake!

Don't think I will be making any extra efforts to come back but wouldn't mind coming back if I'm in the vicinity.

Taste Test Total Score 13/20

Address: 43 Pakenham St, Fremantle WA 6160
Telephone: (08) 9336 1032
Website: http://www.breadincommon.com.au/
Reservations: No (unless you have 10 -14 people but then you are restricted to a set menu)

Opening times
Monday to Thursday: 10am - 10pm
Friday and Saturday: 10am - late
Sunday: 10am - 10pm

Bread In Common on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I really like your blog. You have a sense of humor and very informative article. Thank you for sharing. Keep up the good work.

    Sed
    www.gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i appreciate you for writing information. keep it going and make it more effective.

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete