Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Taste Test - Croissant x Donut = Cronut™

I had my first imitation Cronut today and to be honest it was unexciting.  The icing was too sweet, it was a bit oily and quite heavy.  I had it cold, well room temperature, but I presume like its parents the croissant and donut it would've been better warm.  Special thanks to my brother who decided he wanted to try this croissant-donut hybrid when we drove past Lawley's Bakery in Mount Lawley and jumped out of the car to get us one each.  At $3 each, it was worth it for the novelty but I won't be having another one.


For those of you who don't know much about the Cronut, this trademarked name for a croissant x donut was created by chef Dominique Ansel for Dominique Ansel Bakery in New York and debuted in May this year.  People line up outside the Dominique Ansel Bakery up to 2.5 hours before it opens and there is a limit of 2 per customer, for more information read the Cronut™ 101 page on the Dominque Ansel Bakery website.

This new food hybrid is taking the world by storm with imitation Cronutspopping up at bakeries all over the world.  My plan is to sink my teeth in a real Cronut when I am in New York in November and hope that it lives up to the hype and the wait!

Lawley's Bakery Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment