Saturday, 20 July 2013

Taste Test - Run Amuk Hotdogs Unleashed

I've been wanting to taste test Run Amuk Hotdogs Unleashed since I first heard about it from my workmate RW and today I finally made it there with my hubby.  Located outside the main drag, I didn't know about this part of Fremantle as I usually hang around the main strip or the fishing boat harbour, but I'm glad to say we'll be visiting this part more often as I discovered there are quite a few restaurants and cafes around there.


As you step inside, you can not overlook the American décor at Run Amuk which was pretty cool and in your face.  The counter is covered with American flags and the Statue of Liberty is on the wall behind the counter.  I loved it already.  Run Amuk is one of those places where you find your own seats, grab your own menus and order at the counter.  Hubby and I sat in one of the booths which is constructed from old bus seats and when I went up to grab a couple of menus from the counter, I was greeted warmly by a friendly gentleman whom I think is the manager.

Our order
  • The Punk (premium bratwurst, crispy bacon, lightly caramelised onions, aged cheddar, American style mustard, tomato sauce & smokey BBQ sauce) $12
  • The Chili Dawg (bratwurst sausage, guacamole, Run Amuk chili con carne, tortilla chips, cheddar cheese, sour cream and parsley) $14.50
  • Fries $3.50
  • Dipping sauce (coriander & lime aioli) $1.50

We were told that our hotdogs will be ready within 10 minutes so we busied ourselves with taking photos of Run Amuk.

Food and presentation - 4.5/5
True to their word, our hotdogs arrived within 10 minutes.  The hotdogs at Run Amuk were the best hotdogs I've had in Perth (but I have to admit I don't eat hotdogs very often so don't have too much to compare with).  Hubby and I especially liked the Chili Dawg because it wasn't something we've had before, it tasted awesome and we liked the presentation.  The Punk on the other hand wasn't anything special (in that the combination of ingredients isn't anything special) but it was pretty tasty.  We liked how the hotdogs were presented to us on stainless steel hotdogs trays.
The Punk $12
The Chili Dawg $14.50
Fries $3.50 & Dipping Sauce $1.50
Service - 4.5/5
No complaints.  The staff were friendly and polite.  Although the only table service at Run Amuk was them bringing out our hotdogs, the manager did come out and ask us how everything was.  I also liked the order numbering system, most places I've been to give you a number on a stand so that they know where to bring out the order, Run Amuk uses superhero cards on a stand instead. 

As we were leaving, I wanted to take a photo of the exterior but the manager came out and said "You can't take a photo of the sign" and then went on to say it's broken, so I looked very serious and stopped taking the photo to find out that he was pulling my leg.  Well done!

Atmosphere - 4.5/5
Love the casual atmosphere and the décor.  It's all very American but it's pretty cool.  I love how the booth seats are constructed with old bus seats.  Each free standing table is wrapped with a different Where's Wally? (or should I call him Waldo?) scene, although the confusion for me here is that Wally is originally from the United Kingdom.




Value for money - 3.5/5
It is pretty expensive for a hotdog.  Hubby's first reaction when he saw the menu was "$14.50 for a hotdog, it better be good!!!"  but after our meal he said he'll happily return for more.  So yes, it is expensive for a hotdog but we think they're worth it.
We picked up a loyalty card so will definitely be back for more!

Taste Test Total Score 17/20

Run Amuk Hotdogs Unleashed on UrbanspoonEntertainment Book 2013/2014 Information
Section D - Informal Dining & Takeaway
Page - D54
Offer - One complimentary hotdog when another hotdog of equal or greater value is purchased

No comments:

Post a Comment