Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Taste Test - Mr Munchies Sushi

It's taken me a long time but I finally made it to Mr Munchies Sushi to find out what all the fuss is about.  I've tried to get in once before but they were full and I was too hungry to wait.  This time I thought I'll be organised and book a table but unfortunately they don't take bookings for less than 6 people. Luckily when I arrived a couple of tables had just finished and were on their way out so I scored a table within 5 minutes of arrival. 


The first thing I noticed was that you can design your own sushi which is pretty cool and explains the Subway style set up of the counter. The second thing was the mural on the back wall with Godzilla and Astro Boy.  I love Astro Boy so that was a big plus for me.

SA and LT arrived shortly after I was seated and as they had been before I sat back and let them decide on what to order.  We ordered the small size (4 pieces) for each style of sushi, and yes it was so we could try more styles.

Our order
  • Katsu Kilpatrick Roll (Pork (or chicken) katsu with bacon, cheese served with our BBQ and mustard sauce) $9
  • Crunchy Chicken Roll (Chicken katsu, iceberg lettuce and potato salad topped with chilli mayo and fried shallots) $9
  • Mexican Roll (Grilled tenderloin, avocado, cheese and roasted capsicum, served with wasabi aioli and tomato salsa) $10
  • Mango Chicken Roll (Chicken and prawn fritters topped with coriander, sweet chilli sauce and diced mango) $9.50
  • Hawaiian Roll (Pancetta, fresh pineapple, tamagoyaki served with house tomato sauce and grilled cheese) $10

Dessert
  • Mr Munchies Crème Caramel (served with black sesame ice cream) $7.50
  • Lemon Green Tea Cheesecake (served with seasonal fruits) $8.50

Drinks
  • Green tea x 3 $7.50 ($2.50 each)

Food and presentation - 3.5/5
The sushi was pretty average.  It was definitely different and interesting but the taste was average.  Presentation was pretty standard, nothing particularly special and they could make the sushi ends look a bit better before plating.  My stand out sushi rolls were the Mexican and Katsu Kilpatrick.  Dessert was nice but again it didn't really do much for me.  I am not sure what all the fuss is about, did I miss something? Do I need to go again? 
Mexican Roll $10
Crunchy Chicken Roll $9
Mango Chicken Roll $9.50
Katsu Kilpatrick Roll $9
Hawaiian Roll $10
Lemon Green Tea Cheesecake $8.50
Mr Munchies Crème Caramel $7.50
Service - 3.5/5
They were busy when I stepped in and it took a few minutes before I was attended to but apart from that, food came out quickly, our tea was topped up automatically at regularly intervals and the waitress that served us was polite and had a lovely smile on her face.

Atmosphere - 3.5/5
Love the mural, the lights and the set up of the place.  It's casual, cute and lively.
Value for money - 3.5/5
Cheaper and individual sushi size is bigger than some of their competitors but I don't think taste and presentation is as good.

Won't be rushing back but happy to go again.  Definitely worth a try for the interesting combinations or to create your own.

Taste Test Total Score 14/20

Mr. Munchies Sushi on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment