Friday, 15 June 2012

Taste Test - Zambrero

Tel: 6161 9436
Website: http://www.zambrero.com/

It's been a while since my last food entry - sorry! In the two months that I've been MIA (missing in action), I've been to Hong Kong and Taipei, celebrated my hubby and also my 30th birthday (my birthday celebrations were spread out over 3 weeks....), welcomed a new addition to our family (my nephew who is completely and utterly gorgeous!), hosted 2 baby showers and also welcomed the first baby to my close group of girlfriends (baby still has no name but apart from that he is mega cute!).  So that was my life in a nutshell but now I'm baaaaaack and will try to catch up on most of my food adventures during that time...hopefully I can remember all the details.  To ease myself back in, I'm going to blog about Zambrero....

Today was a day full of eating (what's new?), I had breakfast at The Beaufort St Merchant (I will blog about them soon...) with Miss Em, Miss Arr, Mr Arr and Miss Pi then went shopping around Mount Lawley with Miss Em and Miss Arrr.  After about 3 hours of shopping, Miss Em and I were hungry!  Miss Em suggested Zambrero, a fast food style Mexican place - I've never been there before and was quite intrigued.  It reminded me of Subway but Mexican style, instead of choosing your bread you choose whether you want a burrito, tortilla, taco or bowl then you choose you filling, salsas and lastly the sauce.  Between the three of us, we ordered 2 burritos (a lamb and a beef) because Miss Em warned us that they were quite big and it ended up being more than enough.  The young lady serving us kindly cut the burritos in half for us upon request.

Food and presentation - 4/5
The burritos which were wrapped in aluminium foil was quite yummy and chocablock with filling! I have no complaints about the taste, the ingredients were fresh and with it being a fast food outlet, the presentation was as expected so I'm not going to take points away for that.

Service - 3/5 
It's a fast food outlet peoples, the fact that they cut the burrito in half for us was already good enough for me!

Atmosphere - 4/5
Zambrero was actually quite funky which is unlike your usual fast food outlets.  I really liked the set up.  They had seats which looked out onto Beaufort St and a long wooden table in the middle of the shop where anyone can sit.  The three of us were happily chatting away after we finished our burritos.

Value for money - 3.5/5
A bit expensive for fast food BUT $10.50 for a burrito that was so well endowed, I didn't mind paying the price.  Also when you consider that they are working with the organisation Action Against Hunger (<= click on the link to find out more) to provide food relief to areas in need then it is definitely value for money. 

If I am ever in Mount Lawley (they also have an outlet in Leederville) and feel like something tasty and not overly filling, Zambrero will definitely be an option. 

Taste Test Total Score 14.5/20
Zambrero on Urbanspoon