Saturday, 21 January 2012

Taste Test - Mrs S


Tel: 9271 6690 (they don't take bookings for breakfast...)

I've heard about this Mrs S place so many times and the last time I wanted to try it out...it was closed.  Needless to say I was excited that I finally made it there.  We arrived just before 10am and there was already a line...We ended up waiting around 35 minutes for a table as there was 4 of us and it appears people like going out for breakfast in twos.  During our wait, one of the waiters who knew we had been waiting for awhile, apologised a few times (bonus customer service points) as he let the couples who arrived after us into the establishment.  He also gave us copies of the menu so that we can order as soon as he can arrange a table for us.  The menus were cute - they attached the food menu to Little Golden Books with a wooden clothes peg - a very neat idea which also brought back childhood memories of reading and collecting them.    Consolation for waiting for such a long time...free mini sample of their brownie which was delicious!  I was hungry and the brownie made me excited!

We ordered as soon as we sat down at our table which was designed to fit 2.5 people (the waiter asked us whether we wanted to squeeze) - Miss Em, Mr Ar and I ordered the same thing - Granny June's cornbread, bacon, poached eggs and maple syrup - Miss Pi decided to be an individual and ordered the avocado, olive tapenade, roasted tomato and goat's curd on rye.
Once we settled down, did we finally have time to take in the decor.  Their choice of decor was cute - cute lights, gnomes, Peter Rabbit look alike on the menu board, etc.


Miss Em and Miss Pi ordered watermelon juice, Mr Ar ordered a flat white and I ordered apple juice.  I originally wanted the French pink lemonade (yes, because it said French!) but it wasn't available...Anyway, their juices were all freshly prepared and my apple juice was definitely one of best fresh apple juice I've had.  No one complained about their drinks...unfortunately our food took another 30 minutes or so to arrive which was understandable as they were busy and they still had a line but we were HUNGRY! 

Flat white $3.50

Watermelon juice and apple juice $5 each (a little expensive)
Our food finally arrived and the verdict - fresh ingredients, freshly prepared - we enjoyed our breakfast (maybe because we were REALLY HUNGRY! But only initially for me...) 
Avocado, olive tapenade, roasted tomatoes and goats curd on rye $15

Granny June's cornbread, bacon, poached eggs and maple syrup $16.50
My complaint, after a quarter of the way into my meal, the cornbread with the maple syrup started tasting sickly sweet and the bacon was salty and I mean very, VERY salty.  I tried hard to continue eating but in the end couldn't finish my breakfast which was a bit of a disappointment.  However, the servings were quite big so I guess even if it was delicious I probably wouldn't be able to finish it without stuffing myself and feeling sick.  I will however give it another try sometime...

Food: 3/5
Presentation: 3.5/5
Atmosphere: 3.5/5
Service: 3.5/5
Taste Test Total Score: 13.5/20

Mrs. S on Urbanspoon